Thursday, April 17, 2008

Hilary Comes to Indiana

It has been 40 years since a primary election mattered in Indiana. Since Bobby Kennedy won his first state here in 1969, Indiana has seen "a long cold winter" (thanks NPR for that metaphor) of inconsequential primaries.

But yes, you guessed it, that has completely changed this year. When Hoosiers go to the polls on May 6th their votes will matter. After all, 72 delegates are up for grabs. And as we all know, those delegates and the votes that come matter very very much to both Senator Clinton and Senator Obama.

There is buzz everywhere of the candidates being in our fine state. They've been through, their spouses and children (Chelsea I'm sure wearing very nice shoes) stumping for them too. While they both have campaign offices in the city where I work, we've yet to see their gleaming smiles parading through our local Starbucks in hopes of getting that story of "small town America," showing themselves in the heartland of Indiana.

So I've not met Hilary yet. Or Barack for that matter. I did however, meet three of Hilary's "references" on Tuesday. I have not liked Hilary this whole campaign, but I went into this meeting with an open mind, really I mean that, wondering what these people had to say and wondering what they would offer us. In fact, this meeting with the references made me dislike her even more. (I could go on about why I don't like her, but I'll save that for another blog. I do have reasons though)

I was sitting in my office Tuesday and usually Andrea, our administrator, answers the phones, but sometimes she doesn't and this time I happened to answer. I said my name and the voice on the other end said, "Is this Kate Yoder?" And of course I said it was and she told me she was on our website and found my name. She identified herself as someone from Senator Clinton's office in New York and would it be possible for me to round up some mayors, economic development folks, the chamber, etc. to meet with three "travelers" who were going around the state representing economic redevelopment, etc., etc.

My first comment was, (and yes, I can be sarcastic at times) "This isn't political of course, because economic development transcends all political boundaries right?" And she was very quick to assure me that all the candidates care very deeply about economic development and this was not strictly about Hilary. Ha. Right....

So later that afternoon my boss and I ended up in the office of the mayor of a small town nearby where we welcomed the three travelers, a staffer from the Senator's office, an academic dean from RIT, and a retired GM worker. It didn't take them long to launch into a monologe about the great things Hilary has done in New York, how bipartisan she is, how she is a hard worker, etc. Believe me when I say this was over before it began, economic development transcending politics or not.

Here's the thing. I'm not opposed to hearing about the good things a presidential candidate has done. In fact, I'm all about experience for someone entering the highest office in our land. I am however, opposed to being walked on and overlooked. Never once did the three references ask a question about our community. They folded up the paper we gave them about some of the new businesses we've brought into our community in front of us. Everything was all about Hilary, Hilary, Hilary. For over an hour we sat and listened to this desperate sounding pitch about why we should support her. And yet, strangely, the disconnect between who Hilary is and why we should care grew larger and larger as the hour passed.

No matter who does it to you, it's a terrible thing to feel like you're a box to be checked off. It's a terrible feeling to feel like you and your community you love and are proud of despite some of its problems, are not valued or even cared about by someone who claims she cares deeply about the problems you are having.

Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh and I'm welcome to comments if you think I am. But tell me why she should get my coveted vote when I don't trust she actually cares?

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Kate, you bring up some great points, and it seems that you are more than just living in Indiana; you're identifying with it a bit! Its interesting what happens when a specific culture we might discuss, let's say, rural culture for instance, becomes our own when we live in it. While you will never ( and I mean NEVER) be a "rural gal" (as I am at heart lol:) I would say at this moment, you have more personally invested than myself. Why? Because you live there. It causes us to care about things differently:)

I have so much more I want to say , and I'll write another time. Great post!

Ashley said...

PS I hope this blog causes people to take a look at barak, come on, I had to do a small plug:)

Kate said...

Oh yes, I knew you'd leave a comment about Barack. Sorry for no shout out to you in my actual post, I was trying to work you in and it just didn't fit!

Thanks for your other comment too -- yes, I'm definitely investing in this place, mostly because in my job I see so much that we could do better.

But I do think I'd have to live here for a really long time to actually consider myself a Hoosier like you are at heart!

The Readster said...

Hmmm. Lots there for me to ponder about the primary. Thanks for your insights and observations.