Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Being an Adult

Rob and I are trying to figure out what to do about health insurance today. Frankly, I think health insurance is pure robbery. It's such a double edged sword because if you don't have it and something happens to you or someone in your family you're sunk for probably the rest of your life trying to pay medical bills. If you do have it though, you're paying through the nose every month for something you use actually quite rarely.

To me it feels like such a scam. And there is so much red tape and qualifications that it seems like if you've ever had so much as a hangnail someone out there would deny you coverage.

I guess the burning question in my mind tonight is how am I as Christians supposed to handle health insurance. If I stop and think about it, does health insurance become a crutch for me instead of trusting the Lord to protect me and sovereignly provide for my needs? I'm certainly not advocating stupidity and I know the Lord institutes such things as medical care and doctors to take care of us, but how much is too much? Where do we draw the line? Do we really need things like "umbrella policies" that protect us in case we get sued for some reason? Hurricane and earthquake insurance in Indiana?

Health insurance is certainly nice to have, but I guess I question becoming to dependent on something that is not as secure as our sovereign Lord.

Sometimes being an adult is just plain hard. I'm not complaining really because there is NO way I'd ever want to go back to say, middle school, but there seems to be certain times when being an adult smacks you upside the head and it's not very fun. And I think today is one of those days.

But as Rob just told me, "no one adds a day to their life by worrying." I know he's right too. So I guess we press on in this life through things that are hard and worrisome and knowing that in the end it will be alright.

No comments: