Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Curry Dinner and Other Interesting Things from the Kitchen

Tonight I made my first curry dish -- at least I think that's what it was. I don't think Americans really understand exactly what makes a "curry" dish (although if the recipe calls for curry that's probably a good indication) so please friends who are Indian (or living in India, ahem, Amanda Lehman) please correct me if I am incorrectly labeling my dish.

Anyways, I went on a quest this week to find some new recipes, so I whipped out my trusty Simply in Season cookbook and flipped to Autumn because it clearly is that season now. (If you're living in Indiana right now it feels like Seattle with all this dreariness). Last night I tried Pumpkin Sausage Pasta and tonight was Red Lentil Coconut Curry. Neither one I was a fan of, but of course, my husband with a sweet tooth adored. He loves anything with curry I've been informed. The Pumpkin Sausage was pretty much what it sounds like - a thick sauce with pumpkin and sausage (and a bunch of other stuff) poured over pasta. I thought it would be more a contrast of sweet and salty from the sausage, but it wasn't. It was a little too sweet for me. The Red Lentil Curry had tons of spices - the usual suspects in Indian type dishes - red lentils, sweet potatoes, peas, onions, and I substituted broccoli for the called for cauliflower. Again, a bit on the sweet side for me. I think this is a good time to admit my addiction to salty foods, or maybe another less severe way of saying it is, I prefer my dinners to be more salty than sweet. I'm just saying -- if a hamburger and a lentil curry were staring me in the face...well, the choice is obvious for me.

The joys of cooking in the Bedinghaus home. Who knows what next week will bring? Stay tuned....

Rob says, "Yum!"

Clearly there will be leftovers....

4 comments:

Lori said...

He certainly looks well fed :-)...and I loved your pics with your mom and family...really sweet times! Luv ya!

Lindsay said...

How long until the smell of curry is gone from your house? I'm guessing 4 days. :)

Transition Woman said...

Hey! so fun! you're so halarious when you write- its like the real you just comes bursting out! I love the hamburger curry comment - I just pictured this big hamburger dancing around you saying eat me!

Amanda Seibert said...

technically, i think there's no such thing as indian "curry"-- it's just a mixture of a bunch of spices. but in thailand everything is called "curry" (red curry, green curry, coconut curry...). but seriously, who cares, your food looks AMAZING!!!! :-)