Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Who Goes to the Beach in October? We do!



This picture shows what you might imagine the beach to look like at the end of September/early October. I wish I had a picture to show you from Sunday because it was beautiful then! This was last Saturday in Ocean City, NJ where Liam and I were with my mom, four aunts and two cousins for the weekend. Liam and I took advantage of him still being able to fly free {that will end on Wednesday when he turns two!} and flew out to see my parents for five days.

We had a great visit with lots of playing at Pops and Grammy's house, visiting Grammy's school, seeing my dear Taylor friend Chrissie and her baby Emily and of course going to the beach. 

Before we could be in PA though we had to fly on the "hairplane" as Liam called it. We checked out some books at the library about planes and flying on planes, bought some special snacks, loaded up the iPod Touch with new games, said goodbye to Papa and took off. Three of my four flights were empty enough that we could have a whole row to ourselves so that was great. The one flight on our way home when I did have to hold him on my lap got a little tight, but we made it. I've found in traveling that the downtime/layovers is actually much worse than the plane itself. Airports were not designed with children in mind! Whoever would decide to put a climbing play space in an airport would be a genius in my book. I was proud of Liam for how well he did overall. He did a good job of fulfilling the jobs Papa gave him before he left: Obey mama, sit still, be quiet, be considerate of others, eat snacks and play on the iPod. 

Thank goodness for seatbelts! They make the perfect "project" of putting them together and unhooking them again. And SkyMall. Liam loved looking at all the bizarre stuff they have. His favorite page? The page selling statues of Bigfoot, a zombie and a Tiki man. Seriously, do people buy that stuff? 

The face that says "I know you're taking my picture!" 

Once we got to Grammy's we had a whole world of new toys to play with and of course Webster, my parent's dog. Liam was buds with Webster this time, getting right up in her face to tell her things he was doing. She took it all in stride and apparently slept the whole weekend we were gone. We also had a fun time "playing clay" in the studio with Pops and visiting Grammy's school. Liam had a whole entourage of kids following him all over the playground and was a big hit there. 

Playing clay! 


Big surprise that Liam would immediately find girls and markers. 

Hanging with his posse playing basketball.

At the beach we relaxed and went out to the beach even though it was only about 60 degrees on Saturday. The water was warmer than the air so Liam spent a lot of time sitting a tide pool. He was shaking and had blue lips when he finally decided it was time to go in. A hot bath solved that and of course he wanted to go right back out on Sunday. It was at least sunny then and we had a good time throwing sand and shells into the water and digging. The women in my family are very chill on vacation so when I could I joined them in reading and laughing at the game Loaded Questions. We always have a great time together. 

He was almost immediately soaked head to toe and could have cared less. 

Liam and Grammy enjoying the water. 




This time, Liam LOVED the merry-go-round! And I love this picture. 

Grammy made it up onto the Merry-go-round too.

As always, the visit was too short and we had to say goodbye on Monday. Two more airplane rides later we were back with Papa and glad to see him. He was glad to see us again too. Thanks Grammy and Pops for a great time! See you again soon! 

So glad to be home again with Papa. 

No comments: