Sunday, November 16, 2008

Bread Celebrations

Yesterday I was so glad we don't have kids yet. I honestly don't know how moms (and dads) do what they do and ever find time to relax. Moms are definitely my biggest heroes, but they always remind me how not ready I am to have children! 

This weekend was the first we've been home for the past three or so. The weekends away were fun (family in Cincy for Rob's birthday and Illinois with friends), but it is so nice to be home. I had a long list of things to get done, most of which by now on Sunday is finished thank goodness. I cleaned and cooked and took a nap and read my newest issue of Real Simple magazine while Rob worked on grad school stuff. 

In the evening after all the chores were done we baked bread from scratch together, one of our favorite things to do. I picked out an Italian Parmesan bread that took hours to rise, but it was ok, we had the time in between watching a movie. We each got to braid a loaf and watch it come out of the oven much larger than it went it! We definitely made more than we were expecting, but it gave us an excuse to invite friends over to share. 

Here we are with our finished product! Yum. 

I was reminded of our bread making this morning during church as our pastor preached out of Matthew 14, the passages where the woman pours the expensive perfume on Jesus and where Jesus celebrates the Passover with his disciples before his crucifixion. Our pastor was very detailed in explaining the significance of the Passover for the Jewish community and even more so, the significance of the breaking of bread together. Even though Rob and I aren't Jewish, we celebrate communion and the breaking of bread with others in many ways. Yes, formally at church, but also in shared meals with friends, shared working together on projects with others, celebrating holidays, and traditions. 

At the end of the service our pastor asked us to specifically celebrate something this week. Celebrate our salvation in Christ, celebrate shared meals and fellowship, celebrate the coming of holidays, etc. My question to you in closing is: How will you celebrate this season, this month, this week? What are some specifics we as believers should celebrate? 

And maybe, while you're celebrating, you should make some homemade bread. It's a celebration for your mouth, your friends, and your belly. :)    

No comments: