Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Pop

We found out last week that Rob's beloved grandfather, Pop, has a brain tumor. We've been praying for some time now that it was not a tumor, but maybe something less scary like mini-strokes. (Not that we would wish Pop was having mini-strokes instead, rather it seemed like the lesser of two evils I suppose.) But after Pop had an MRI we found out for sure it is a tumor.
I met Pop almost 3 years ago when Rob and I first started dating. Rob had talked constantly about his grandparents and how large of a role they have played in his life since birth. I was curious because I grew up without grandparents really, my mom's mom had passed away before I was born and I only knew my grandfather a little bit as he started deteriorating from stokes when I was quite young. My dad's parents have always lived in Arizona and due to many factors were never actively involved in our lives. Thankfully I've had people throughout my life who have filled the "grandparent" role, but it was never quite the same as having the "real" ones around.
But as soon as I met Nan & Pop for the first time I was completely hooked on grandparents. They welcomed me with open arms as if I'd always been their grandchild. I know this is true because Pop is the only one who can call me "Katie" without me getting mad. :) (He actually calls me "Katy-did" like the bug I guess, but it's so endearing I couldn't ever be upset). They have gone above and beyond to show me their love and have supported Rob and I from day one of our relationship.
Rob always says that he sees Pop as invincible. That makes this news even harder to swallow. The thing you have to understand about Pop is that he's not invincible, but he tries to act like he is. He's in his mid-80s, has had cancer twice, (including in his mouth which makes it hard for him to eat), he has diabetes, and is legally blind. Whew. I'd be one cranky girl if that was my life. But not Pop. He is the most joyful, full of life, outgoing, funny person to be around. He has more stories than anyone I know and more friends than I do for sure. He has been married to Nan for 62 years and swears he loves her more today than ever. He truly is an inspiration.
Honestly, I've never been very good with sickness and death and things like this. I get all tongue-tied and don't know what to say. Rob and I have been praying a lot about how to handle this sort of news and its implications for ourselves and for his extended family. Knowing the holidays are coming up is reassuring since we know we'll get to see him and Nan a lot. But it will be hard to see Pop more quiet and withdrawn, more sick.


We fully believe the Lord can heal Pop if he chooses and we hope that he does. There are great-grandchildren to celebrate in a few years! The Lord has brought him this far in life and Pop knows that. Pop loves Jesus and wants to be with him, another very reassuring thing to all of us. When we talked with Pop on the phone last week he said, "I told the Lord, Lord, if you're ready, I'm ready." May it be when it's my time to go I would have such a ready heart. Ilove you Nan & Pop!


Here we are with Nan & Pop at Rob's cousin Maria's wedding in August

Rob's graduation in May



2 comments:

Kirk and Chrissie said...

I will be praying for Pop, Rob and Kate. He seems like a wonderful man...what a blessing!

Ashley said...

Wow Kate, I'm so sorry to hear this news. My heart sank with it. Having been so close to my grandparents, I don't know how I would cope with such news.
Much love to you both,
ash