Friday, January 30, 2009

Settlers

We've been pretty busy the past two weeks or so, hence the lack of posts. I have a pet peeve about people who don't update their blogs and here I am being my own pet peeve!

Our pipe did unfreeze without bursting for those of you who were wondering -- praise for that! It was unfrozen by the time we came home from work on Friday so no more need for men down in muddy holes under our house. Whew.

The one thing that has been keeping us busy the most is Settlers of Catan. Now, for you who know what Settlers is, I don't need to explain what a great board game it is. You already know that. But for those of you who have never experienced the joys and defeats of Settlers, well, better get on the bandwagon. Settlers was introduced in my extended family years ago (well before the craze) and I introduced it to Rob when we started dating. We love to play and were very glad to find other friends in our community who play (ask me about the two, 6 player expansion boards with 10 people playing) but the thing about Settlers is you always need to have more than two people to play.

Until now that is. Rob and I found a version of Settlers made just for two people in a card game form. We are totally and completely hooked. We have played almost every night we've been home for the past two weeks, sometimes multiple games. We also have a running score sheet on our fridge which is only a slight source of irritation (tongue in cheek there) for me because Rob is consistently beating me by two or three games......arrgh........but it definitely keeps things competitive. Neither of us are very competitive people by nature, but with this game, it all comes out. Did I mention that on Wednesday night I came within one game of tying him (note I was ahead and had a winning point in my hand) when he swooped in, stole one of my resources (it's part of the game don't worry) and won? Let's just say I stomped around grouchily for a few minutes. But then we always kiss and make up so that helps. :)

The winter has been long and cold already, but this game makes me appreciate those long winter nights spent playing a game with my husband. It really has brought us closer because we're doing something we both enjoy together, definitely we know, a crucial part of a strong marriage. I'll confess, we're a bit weird and creatures of habit -- we always sit in the same chair at the kitchen table, play with the same color cards every time, each eat one York Peppermit Patty during the game, Rob does his funny accents and turns almost everything into a song while I laugh at him -- but it's us I guess and it's fun. And it's free for us to play! We've definitely gotten our money's worth so far.

I can't help but wonder how real settlers in Medieval times spent winter nights. I bet they never thought that in many future years someone would be passing a winter evening playing a board game based on their lives....

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I like this post Kate:) - it makes me laugh and paints a good picture.

Unknown said...

Kate! Where have you been? The children miss you! I tell them you're coming home soon...

:)

We need to talk SOON. Seriously, I miss you.

And we need to plan a spring/summer trip.

And I've started my own super amazing blog. Well. Not as good as yours. But you can check it out at www.ourgreatesthits.wordpress.com

Okay, love you lots!