Thursday, March 5, 2009

Bloomington here we come!

ahc-10158.gif


Many of you already know our news, but I thought I'd share it on here anyways -- call it outward processing at its finest if you will. 

We've been trying to get people to think I'm pregnant when we say we have news, (I'm definitely NOT), just because we thought it'd be funny. No one has fallen for that yet. So I guess we've just started saying we're moving, leaving, starting a new season of our lives, etc. 

About two weeks ago we took a very hard look at our finances and outstanding debt and decided that if we couldn't go to grad school for basically free we weren't going to go this fall. Literally two days after that conversation Rob got an email from Indiana University (IU) in Bloomington saying he not only got in, but he was given a guaranteed scholarship for two years with a optional funding for an additional five years for his PhD, a living stipend of $14,000, a summer stipend to "read and research", and a teaching assistantship. Whew. Basically we were floored at this incredible gift the Lord chose to bless us with knowing the economic climate right now. This clearly speaks to the amazing person my husband is too considering the school never interviewed him, never met him, and never heard him speak Spanish. Amazing. I am so proud of him!

Since I'd already been rejected from Michigan State and University of Texas-Austin, but hadn't yet heard from IU, the decision was pretty clear. Rob accepted the offer and then last Friday we found out I didn't get in. It's an understatement to say that letter was a blow to me. I think in the course of Friday I felt every emotion (except the very happy ones). Feeling overwhelmed at the thought of finding a new job in a town where we don't know anyone personally, knowing Rob would be in school while I was working, even to thoughts of, "well I guess we can get a nicer place to live now" consumed me. 

Through it all several friends and family members came alongside me and really directed my heart back to the Lord and his Word. It was such an incredibly hard day, but by the end of it (actually by Saturday morning -- the truism my mom always said, "you'll feel better in the morning" is really so true!) I felt so much better and even hopeful that the Lord knows exactly what he's doing with us and we do not need to fear a future he is very clearly in. Somedays we know those kind of things in our heads, but not in our hearts and that was the place I was in Friday. 

Rob has seen all this grad school stuff as an adventure from the start. I've been more in the camp of, "AH! Change is not my friend!" But the Lord knew what he was doing when he brought us together and things like that only make us stronger. This next season will only make us stronger and I feel peace about that. 

So we're off to Bloomington come August! Apparently everyone we've talked to thinks it's the coolest place in Indiana and is quite cosmopolitan. Cosmopolitan and Indiana aren't exactly two words I'd put together, but I'll keep you posted. Another good thing is we're not leaving Indiana so I can still let you know about all the fun new adventures we have in this great state. 

Til I have some other news....and hopefully not the pregnancy kind......... :) 

1 comment:

Transition Woman said...

You're such a good writer Kate. And FYI - I know that God knows what he's doing in terms of grad school with you- but I don't know about those IU people - I mean,did you just see this blog.Everything you write is incredible- maybe they just don't know a good writer when they see one - those silly IU people.