Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Thoughts on America's Situation

I've found that watching the news makes me work that eliptical a lot harder in the gym. The reason? I'm mad. I guess being mad makes me think the best way to be more un-mad is to burn more calories. Not really, because I'm still mad, but hey, maybe I burned a few more calories in the long run. 

Tonight while riding the eliptical I watched several things that prompted me to write tonight. First, I'm really mad about the AIG bonuses. $165 million -- some people receiving $64 million dollars. Guess where that chunk is coming from -- my tax dollars they received from the government to bail them out. Sickening. I think what makes me even more mad is the entitlement attitude that came along with those bonuses. "To big to fail" is an entitlement attitude which led to bailout money. I understand that AIG does insure other people and companies and if they fail a lot of others will go under. I haven't worked all that out in my head, but it's all hanging out there and it makes me mad. 

I'm frustrated that President Obama keeps proposing more spending and more bailouts and more promises. I understand that he has a lot on his plate and so many people are looking to him to for help. But he isn't perfect and he's bound to make some mistakes, perhaps ones he's making now with many new things and promises. 

I think at some point there must be a tipping point for America. I don't know when it's coming or what it looks like, but it's coming sooner or later. The rest of the world is catching up to us and they want the kind of lifestyle we've had. I think America is in for a day of reckoning for many things we've done over the years and the way we've spent energy and the things we've been responsible for. We haven't been held accountable as a country and it's starting to show up here. We've charged ahead with our own entitlement attitude.  

A change is coming. A new wind is blowing and America doesn't like it and it doesn't bode well for us as a country. How does a Christian respond to changes coming here and around the world? Do we really know what we're up against from countries like Iran and Afghanistan? Are we ready for our lifestyles to completely change? I think we must be ready because the world needs people who understand stewardship and accountability and hope. 

I feel overwhelmed tonight by the world swirling around me. I am sad for the people in Mexico who are desperately battling a vicious drug war that has killed close to 2,000 people, 80 percent of them under 25. I am sad for those who need the drugs and who use others to get those drugs. I'm nervous about China talking about a new world currency and what that means for the American dollar. I'm impatient for things to change in a healthy way that doesn't always depend on money. I'm tired of all the media talking and talking and talking. I'm tired of bad news. 

Perhaps this is a good time for Christians to reconsider their priorities and where their heart treasure lies. I think overall everything happening in America and around the world is making my heart long more for heaven and for Jesus' glorious return. Perhaps that is the tipping point we all really need. 

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Yeah, I don't know much about bail outs. Or people who take big bonuses, and why that's somehow a needed thing according to them...

But I can say that we hosted a bunch of college students tonight. They went out with sack lunches to have dinner with someone who is in homelessness. They were not to evangelize, just listen. One of the groups said that their friend saw the other bags and said, "No, I can't take more than one. I'll find more food tomorrow, there's a lot of us out here, so you find another person who can use the other bags of food." I don't know, but it seems to me that this man has more wisdom than many folks who feel they need a few extra 100,000 to get by...