Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Slate Run, Pennsylvania

And now, for a completely different vacation than the one on my last post....Rob and I just got back from Slate Run, Pennsylvania where my large extended family (43 people there this year!) gathers once a year to enjoy each other, play games, eat A LOT, and basically do the funny stuff families do together.

To give you some background, this cabin is nothing fancy. It was built in the 1930s by my grandfather and nine other men as a hunting cabin. As the men grew up and had families, they began to vacation there in the summers. Now, all the older men have passed away, but each one bequeathed the cabin membership to one of his children. In our family, my mom is the member and in her life, she has never missed a summer going to the cabin. While the cabin itself is nothing special, the memories it holds are. It's quite picturesque with a creek behind it and big mountains all around. The town, Slate Run, is really small, but there is a general store, Wolfies, that makes a killing off the kids in our family buying candy there all weekend.

The cabin. It literally sleeps about 15 people. A lot of people bring tents and thankfully there is a newer bathhouse outside

This is a view up Pine Creek, the creek behind the cabin. Our cabin is just around the bend on the right side of the photo.

This weekend was no exception to the rule that everyone has fun and gets to do whatever they want at the cabin. For me, this year was extra special because it was my first year sleeping in a tent instead of the cabin. Rob and I missed last year after our wedding. The only not fun part of sleeping in a tent was that for Rob and I, our brand new tent leaked during a huge storm. In the middle of the night. Those of you who know me well know that being wet not my my choice is not my idea of a good time.

Our tent before it got all wet and damp inside...

Drying out all our stuff the next day in the sun.

I also got caught in another big storm while hiking with Rob, my dad, and my cousin. Wet again. Otherwise, the sun shone and we hiked, tubed on the creek, went to this sweet swimming hole we know, played wiffle ball, volleyball, ate together, biked, and sat around and talked.

Rob and some of my younger cousins at the swimming hole. Once you cross this creek you climb up a little bit and then....

...jump off of this rock. The water is ice cold, so cold it literally takes your breath away. I am only so daring to jump off the rock, some people like to swing off the rope too.

One night we did a family American Idol. Family members brought music and costumes and practiced for this event so it was quite hilarious. Almost everyone lip synced so song choices included Susan Boyle (Britian's Got Talent lady), Long Black Train, If I Could Turn Back Time, a song by Johnny & June Cash, and two kids songs. I was the esteemed judge Paula, Rob was Randy, and my brother Ben was Simon.

Of course Paula had to wear sparkles!

This was an encore of the winners -- the three little guys in the middle -- Rob, Ben, and Heather are singing along because it was a song in Spanish

There's a lot more I could say about this wonderful family and our long weekend together, but I'll just put up a few more photos to describe things.

Rob and Heidi playing two person Settlers, the big game hit of the weekend

My mom reading to Rio and Mattias. Hmm...think she's hinting that she wants grandkids?? :)

This is a typical meal scene. We eat a late breakfast and an early dinner, plus many snacks in between

Every night this black bear came and roamed around our yard. He was pretty close by when my cousin Dave took this photo. One night we found his footprints on the porch steps! He also really liked peaches and corn cobs we found out.

Those of you who receive a Yoder Christmas card might see a version of this photo later this year...

The whole wonderful family (minus 8 in this photo)

Needless to say, this is probably one of the biggest highlights of our year and one of my favorite places on earth. I cried when we drove away this year because I was so sad it was over. The good part is there's always next year to look forward to and many more memories to be made with this family in between.

p.s. In case you were wondering, we're done vacationing for now and are busy walking into the next season of our life as we move to Bloomington on Saturday!

3 comments:

Kirk and Chrissie said...

Oh my gosh, your outfits for the judges are HYSTERICAL! Love it. And I can't believe you were that close to a bear...I would have made Kirk take me to a hotel :). Glad to hear it was such a fun time...and I ALWAYS cry when I drive away from family vacations :(.

Royce said...

I am fine with reading to Tias and Rio -- do not need grandchildren yet!! Love mom

Jan Lehman said...

Your family sounds SO fun! And I would love to have your panel of judges at our next Neufeld family reunion.
Great pictures!
~Jan Lehman