Monday, October 18, 2010

Our First Week

Liam was officially a week old yesterday and wow, how our life has changed! I honestly cannot imagine life without him, yes, even the middle of the night crying part. He is the sweetest little guy and we are in love with him. And yes, for all of you who are wondering, he is growing like crazy. We had him at the doctor on Sunday (we thought his circumcision was infected -- it wasn't) and he weighed exactly 10 pounds! I think it was a bit of a fluke though because when he was there on Thursday he was 9 lbs., 6 oz. and I'd just fed him before he was weighed on Sunday so that might have thrown the scale off a bit. But either way, he is a big boy!

We came home on Tuesday evening and had a decent first night at home. My mom was here and thankfully so because at one point both Rob and I slept through him crying in the night. It takes a little getting used to I suppose!

Coming home from the hospital

We had plenty of people stop by to see us and meet Liam throughout the week which was great.

Mimi and great-grandma Nan came by on Thursday and spent the afternoon giving Liam lots of love.

Our good friends and neighbors the Russells brought us dinner one evening

My dear friend Chrissie came down one evening with baby Leah who is 2 months old. Chrissie and I are already playing matchmakers -- Liam and Leah? Yes, I think so. :) Liam apparently is a bit disgusted by that idea!

Aunt Logan and Uncle Luke came for the weekend and we had a great time with them. For some reason I don't have a photo of them together with Liam, but here is one of Logan. Logan also took some really sweet baby photos for us for her photography class that I will hopefully be able to post soon.

Jessie came to visit too and give Liam some baby butt slaps :)

And of course Grammy Love was here all week. What would we have done without her? She was absolutely the best. I was so sad to see her leave on Saturday and cried and cried. Thanksgiving seems so far away at times like this!

Other than visiting with people Liam spends most of his time sleeping (not enough at night for me!), eating and doing assorted other things babies do. Here are a few other favorite photos from this week.

Hoosier Daddy Liam? He clearly supports his daddy being at IU.

A personal favorite. Rob is being the most amazing daddy and I am so proud of him for jumping into this role with both feet.

Some snuggle time with mommy

Our little family

Going on our first family walk.

Overall I think it was a pretty good week. There were some rough moments and some crazy hormones, but we're surviving and the Lord has been so near and good to us. I cannot remember the last time I had to lean so much on the Lord and on others to help me and that is a very good thing. Being a mother is so sanctifying I am realizing and it absolutely forces you to pray minute by minute, hour by hour as you work to take on this awesome responsibility God has given you to fulfill. I don't think I realized how unbelievably consuming motherhood really is, but how worth it is too. When Liam is crying and I have the power to make him peaceful again and then he gives me those little involuntary smiles in his sleep, it just melts my heart and makes it worth every moment. I'm excited for more moments like that to come.

And on a less serious note to end this post, I have to share what Rob did in his sleep last night, because lets be real, any humor I can find at 3 am when I've been up with a fussy baby is really priceless. It started out when I got back into bed at one point and Rob was laying on his back patting his chest like he was burping Liam. Then later, he sat up and started using our covers to "swaddle" Liam. Another time he rolled over on his side and started saying, "sh, sh, sh," and shushing Liam like we've been doing when he cries. My favorite though was when he started giving "Liam" kisses into his pillow. He was also talking to me and Liam throughout this adventure asking me if he should put Liam back in his crib. I couldn't help but laugh and laugh at him -- this daddy stuff is clearly working if he's doing it in his sleep already!

That's all for now -- Liam is sleeping for the night so I need to get to bed and get as much sleep as I can before he wakes up again. Thank you all for your many, many prayers and love -- we feel it so much and are so thankful.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh, I'm so glad you posted about your first week!

What Rob did in the night is hilarious! I think for 3 months straight Christian and I would wake up thinking Eadie was in better with us. Multiple times I confused my pillow for Eadie! And of course, she was always in her crib!

Erica said...

you LOOK great, not a bit tired! super smiley!! so happy for you guys. Thinking of you as Rob goes back and you slowly ease into your schedule. (YAY SCHEDULES) xoxo

Amanda Seibert said...

yay! so happy for your new little family! love the pics!