Monday, October 11, 2010

William James Bedinghaus

We are so proud and thankful to welcome William (we're going to call him Liam) James Bedinghaus into our little family. He was born just like we hoped on 10.10.10 which is such a fun birthday to have in our opinion. He was a whopping 9 pounds, 14 ounces and measured 22 inches long. We had no idea he was going to be so big! We were in labor at the hospital for 17 hours, so needless to say it was a long day for everyone. I went in with the idea that I would like to give birth without any drugs and was so proud of myself for accomplishing that goal. It was very difficult and there were many times I would have liked to given in and had an epidural, but Rob and our doula, Mary Lee, were so encouraging and supportive that I was able to make it through. It was absolutely the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but the end result was amazing. Seeing Liam come out and rejoicing in a healthy, happy baby was truly one of the most wonderful moments of my life.

He is named after Rob's grandfather, Pop, who went to be with Jesus in April 2009. He and Rob were very close and we knew for a long time that we wanted to honor Pop's memory by naming a son we had after him. We particularly liked the name Liam too as a nickname instead of Will or Bill. We picked James as his middle name because when Rob and I were engaged, we memorized the whole book of James together. We pray that having James as a middle name will remind Liam of how precious the Scriptures are and how much we treasure them.

It is truly an overwhelming and wonderful thing to bring a baby into the world and know that God has picked us specifically to be his parents. We are excited to start this journey together as a little family. And we hope, if you haven't already, that you get the chance to meet him and love him too!

Well, my son (how crazy is that -- I have a son!) is ready to be nursed so I'll say goodnight. Enjoy these pictures of our first few days together.

I was so hyped up on natural endorphins at this point that I was shaking. Our little family is growing! Poor Rob was so tired after all his labor coaching that he crashed pretty soon after this photo

So thankful that my mom could be here for the birth!

The whole Bedinghaus family. They were amazing troopers waiting in the lobby all day for Liam to be born. What great grandparents and aunts Liam has!

Sweet baby

Rob and Liam having some daddy and son time together

3 comments:

Kirk and Chrissie said...

You are a champ! Way to go, Kate! I can't wait to meet him :).

Erica said...

oh, yes, thank you, all of my clicking has paid off. :) 9 months of carrying this child around has paid off! what a DARLING family!!! xoxoxo

Jan Lehman said...

Great post, Kate. Maybe if you'd have kept him in for a few more hours, until 10 PM, he'd have gained 2 ounces and weighed 10 pounds! The girls reminded me that YOU were the one that got them hooked on "happy days" and "happy minutes" so his birth date is very appropriate.
Congratulations! He is one lucky little boy.