Saturday, January 1, 2011

Christmas Comes But Once a Year

Home. It's such a wonderful place to be. While we had a really great Christmas break, there is nothing like coming home to your own space and sleeping in your own bed. But, I do want to backtrack a bit and share about our travels.

We started out in Cincinnati at Rob's family's home for the few days before Christmas. We had a great time playing games, hanging out with family, entertaining Liam and enjoying Christmas traditions like the Festival of Lights at the zoo and Christmas Eve festivities. The highlight for me though was going on a "real" date with Rob to see the new Harry Potter movie and out to dinner. Rob's parents were gracious to keep Liam so we could spend an evening together without him. Whew. You don't really know when you're in it how exhausting an infant can be (well, maybe you do!) and how much you need a break just to be with your husband. So that was really great.

Christmas morning was special with all of us being together even if Liam slept through the whole thing. Oh well, he didn't know what was going on anyways! My big gift was a computer that I am currently writing this blog post on. Yay! Finally I don't have to share a computer with Rob and that is really good.

Rob and Kayla are two peas in a pod

Mama and Liam hanging out

Liam loves his new playmat, especially the octopus who hangs down and smiles at him.

The Bedinghaus and Green families (plus Lauren's boyfriend Memo) together before heading down to the zoo

We got in the car again after Christmas morning and drove to my parents house in Pennsylvania. Liam did great in the car and was happy to help us open gifts with grammy and pops when we arrived. It was a bit silly for us to drive all the way to PA because we only spent one night there, but I still haven't wrapped my mind around not being at my parents house at all for Christmas. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

On Sunday we drove to Harrisburg to my aunts house for a big Christmas gathering with my mom's extended family. It was so good to spend the day with everyone, especially since some of them hadn't met Liam yet.

Liam with my cousin Shari

Every Christmas my Aunt Millie gets a photo with her great nieces and nephews. This year Liam made the photo even if he wasn't very happy about it!

My cousins Jeni & Naomi

After the day there we drove to my cousin's cabin in central Pennsylvania. We've vacationed there between Christmas and New Years for the past few years and it is always a great time. We spent most of the time eating and playing games and just spending time with one another. Liam did so well there and was definitely the center of attention, especially with my youngest cousins. It's great to see Liam growing up and being able to entertain himself for longer periods of time.

Liam with Mattias and Rio. They are two of the sons of my first cousin Kendall so I guess that makes them Liam's second cousins. But really, who cares! We're all close family.

Our little family

We drove home Wednesday and had a fairly uneventful trip back. It was good to be home and have the craziness of Christmas be over. We've been hanging out at home mostly and spending time together as a little family which is how we wanted to spend the rest of Rob's break. He has another week off before a new semester begins....

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas with your families and are ready for 2011 to begin. Happy New Year!

No comments: