Saturday, September 19, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

For as long as I can remember I've loved my birthday. It's probably a pride thing -- I like being the center of attention at least once a year -- but really, I think bottom line, birthdays are great. I have fond memories of so many birthdays - the one from third grade where I invited all the girls from my elementary school class (even the ones I didn't want to), the one where I was really into watercolor so my mom attempted to "paint" a watercolor sky onto my cake with runny icing (it worked out pretty well), the one my freshman year of college where Ashley's Nana made me a little raspberry swirl birthday cake (the BEST cake!), the one when I was in Colorado when about 20 people went out to celebrate at a restaurant with me, and many more. This birthday definitely falls into the ones to remember category too.

One of the things I love about my husband is that he appreciates how much I love my birthday and really tries to make it special. Usually he tries to surprise me with something and usually I accidentally find out (truly, it is an accident!). Poor guy.

This year we'd already planned to go away for the weekend to a cabin in Brown County (the county next to us that is really beautiful) owned by Rob's former boss at AHC, Roger and his wife Mary. So I knew about that part, but the happenings for my actual birthday were still a surprise. He woke up early on Wednesday, my birthday day, and made me baked oatmeal for breakfast and bought me a beautiful pot of orchids.

Post devouring the oatmeal

Hopefully these will live for a while!

The rest of the day was fairly normal, but it was a good day. Later in the evening he whipped up a pan of brownies complete with more chocolate icing. I suppose the part he skipped in home ec class was that you really should let the brownies cool before putting icing on them. However, he did make a good point that no one really likes to eat cold brownies. So the icing melted everywhere and so did the candles. I've honestly never seen this happen -- the cake was so hot that when we put the candles in the cake the bottoms of the candles completely melted and the whole candle fell over. We were concerned there would be pink wax in the brownies, but there wasn't which remains a mystery. Did we really ingest those toxins or did they just vanish into themselves? Who knows, but we're still alive today.

The aftermath of candles in warm cake. Do not try this at home.

On Thursday evening we left for the cabin. Rob planned a surprise dinner at this adorable little farmhouse cafe and tea room which was amazingly yummy. Unfortunately since I didn't know where we were going I forgot the camera and don't have any photos of that dinner. It was great though.

We spent Friday outdoors most of the day. The cabin is near a small lake and Roger and Mary have a canoe so we went out on the canoe and drifted around for a while.

Front view of the cabin. It's very tiny inside! Basically one large room, a partition for a bedroom, and a small bathroom. Very sweet though.

Across the lake from the canoe

The mighty paddler

The pretend paddler

Later, Rob decided to try fishing without much success even though we were using yummy bits of "hotchy doggie" (apparently how people who speak Portuguese say "hot dog" Rob informed me). The wind was blowing and the fish were not biting. It was still really nice to be outside. Later, after dinner, we went across the street to the neighbor's pond and Rob caught three blue gill. Even though I attempted mightly with the hotchy doggie and singing songs to the fish they did not bite for me. Probably just as well, Rob would have made me take it off the hook - yuck!


How I relaxed while Rob fished.

Rob's first fish from the pond!

My attempts at fishing. I couldn't get the flick of the wrist right in my casting & I think the fish knew I was new at this deal.

Rob serenading me by the fire pit. We made up some pretty unique and funny songs together. I don't think that we will ever make it big though.

Rob looks so tired because he pulled off another great birthday. :)

So here's to being a quarter of a century old. It feels great and I'm excited for this year ahead and starting out on my way to half a century old!

3 comments:

Transition Woman said...

Several Thoughts -
1. - I like the title of your post. I have to think it might have to do with your first birthday memory of me:)
2. Don't let those orchids outside - the herb theif might take them too!
3. You are HALARIOUS - everything you say is halarious
4. The candle story was amazing.
5. I like that you're the preted paddler - that is also my role when canoing.
6. I love the picture of Rob saranading you - you both are so much fun!

Lori said...

Well done son...your father has raised you right :-)!

Amanda Seibert said...

happy birthday, kate! seriously, who DOESN'T love birthdays?!? you and rob are too cute(i've never even met him, but you just look like you're having so much fun together!)! :-)