Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Book Sneeze

I found the coolest thing today that I wanted to share with all of you. It's called BookSneeze and it's a book review service from Thomas Nelson publishers. If you're not familiar with the actual publisher Thomas Nelson you would probably actually recognize some of their authors. Ted Dekker is one of them along with Max Lucado and Donald Miller. They publish a lot of Christian books from well known authors you probably already know and read.

Apparently they had a book review program already, but today they relaunched it with a new Web site and a new name, BookSneeze. (Side note about the name - it's based on a concept of people being "sneezers" and spreading good ideas, products and services mainly through social media. I think it's a pretty clever name - even if it is slightly gross - especially when you add their tagline, "good books are contagious" haha - clever. Some people aren't so keen on it and they've already lost one reviewer over the name which is slightly absurd in my opinion, but like their CEO Michael Hyatt said "you can't please everyone.")

Anyway, here's how BookSneeze works:
  • Visit www.booksneeze.com and sign up for free
  • Check out all the Thomas Nelson books available to review and select one that looks interesting and request to review it
  • Thomas Nelson will send you the book for FREE and it's yours to keep
  • Read the book and write at least a 200 word review, post the review on your blog, post it on another book site like Amazon or Barnes & Noble and then link it back to BookSneeze for others to read
  • The review doesn't even have to be positive! They just want you to be honest and write a review of the book
  • Once you're done reading a book, hop back on BookSneeze and request another one and so the cycle continues
How cool is that? Free books - I'm signing up tonight. :) Hopefully soon you'll start seeing some good book reviews on here too.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Thought it was totally cool. I signed up, too!

I wonder if I can request that only "happy fiction" be sent to me... I can't handle those tearjerkers right now. :)

Christy said...

Hey Kate!

I don't know if you remember me, but I was at Taylor with you in some of Donna's classes. Looks like you're doing well these days!

Anyway, I saw your comment on Katie Anderson's blog, which led me to yours and this post about Book Sneeze from Thomas Nelson! I worked with Katie at Tyndale House Publishers until she left recently, and I thought I'd just let you know about Tyndale's Book Blogger review program, the Tyndale Blog Network. I'd like to invite you to join our program right now too: http://mediacenter.tyndale.com/X_TBN/X_Secure/login.asp?redirectURL=/X_TBN/1_home/dashboard.asp

Sorry there's nothing up there at the moment, but that should be changing since we have a great spring line up. Sorry for the little Tyndale plug, but I just wanted to say hi. Katie told me she knew you when she found out I went to Taylor too. So it was a fun little connection. :)

Have a great weekend!
Christy