Monday, August 1, 2011

Colorful Colorado

Vacation #2 of the summer is over and it was a good one. We journeyed west this time to Colorado Springs with the Bedinghaus family for five days. Rob and I weren't sure at the outset how things would go because Liam woke up with a nasty cold and some teeth breaking through the day before we left. We always hate to think that things like family vacation revolve around Liam, but in reality, if he is a cranky baby it makes things a lot more bumpy. We prayed a lot and within the first few days he was much happier. His cold dried up and his tooth broke through so that really helped. Plus, he got used to the time difference (2 hours behind) and while it threw him off a little bit, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

We stayed at a lovely resort, Cheyenne Mountain Resort, in southern Colorado Springs where we enjoyed great food, four pools and beautiful views. While we were in the city we took advantage of the hiking nearby, amazing restaurants and some other attractions. We also spent Saturday morning driving up Pikes Peak, which halfway through we weren't sure was a good idea when we realized how thin the air really was up there. Liam started having labored breathing and we thought about turning around, but we took a break and got him out of his car seat and he was fine. We made it all the way to the top and took some very chilly, windy pictures before we turned around and came down.

Colorado Spring is a special place for me because as some of you know, I spent a semester there studying at Focus on the Family Institute the fall of my junior year at Taylor, almost six years ago! Wow, how my life has changed since then. My time there was a pivotal part of my life before I met Rob so it was neat to take him back there. We spent some time on the Focus campus where I showed Rob around. I loved how many memories came back to me while we were in the city.

We also got to visit with some special friends on our trip including my cousin Laura, her 15 month old daughter Mady, my Taylor friend Caitlin Peters and another Taylor friend and bridesmaid in my wedding, Leanna Kelton. It was such a treat to reconnect with these sweet friends.

As always, it's good to come home, but we're thankful for family and the time we get to spend together seeing new places and making new memories.

And now for the photo part of the blog...

The chapel at the Air Force Academy.



At the main part of Focus on the Family

A lady who worked at Focus was kind enough to let us in to the Institute part and I got this photo in front of my class picture. Yay class of 2005!

Hiking at Garden of the Gods. Liam was a champ in the hiking backpack the whole trip.

It is so beautiful there with the different rock formations.

At the Balanced Rock

We're a strong family!

This is what happens when Aunt Lauren rides in the backseat. You get a faux hawk in your hair.

Leanna came to visit! We had dinner together one night...

And out together the next night after Liam went to bed. We also got to meet and spend time with Leanna's boyfriend James who became an instant friend. They are darling together and it made me very happy. :)

We made it to the top of Mt. Cutler - a beautiful hike with stunning views.

We reenacted Simba from the Lion King with Liam...

And got a family shot (minus Kayla) at the top.

Liam cried halfway down the mountain, but eventually went to sleep on papa's back.

We stopped and had a picnic by a stream.

We made it to the top of Pikes Peak too!

The view from the hotel. The mountains are so beautiful there.

This kid loves to eat.

I love this family! (Even if we are squinting :)

No comments: