Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Big 2-7

This time last year we were 24 days away from having a baby, but we didn't know that. We also didn't know the sex of the baby, nor much about being parents at all. This year we have an almost one year old and we couldn't imagine life without Liam. The Lord was faithful to bring me through another year that had a lot of change.

September 8th of last year

Now I have this cheeser face this year!

My birthday was a pretty normal day this year with a few adventures and highlights. Rob stayed home for an extra hour in the morning so he was part of the present opening festivities at breakfast. My parents always send the best birthday boxes so it was nice to have presents to open.

Later in the day a friend dropped off a gorgeous "happy birthday" banner her friend made. I'm sure you know the ones I'm talking about -- fabric triangles on a ribbon that you can hang up. It was such a sweet gift and one we will use for all family birthdays for many years to come. I also received phone calls, emails, cards, texts and more from many friends and family. You all know I love my birthday and it showed!

Every birthday should have an adventure and mine happened in the afternoon when I got a call from a friend who was stranded at Kroger with three kids, a cart full of groceries and her keys locked in her car. Her husband was teaching, so he couldn't come and get her. I left Liam with a friend, loaded her kids and groceries into my car and drove her home. Halfway home though she realized her house key was (duh) attached to her car keys and they didn't have a spare hidden anywhere. We prayed and asked the Lord to help us find a way into her house. When we got to her house I randomly found a screwdriver in my glove compartment which we then used to pry open an unlocked window through which she hoisted me and I unlocked the door. Whew! We did a victory dance in the yard and I went on my merry way.

All that rescuing made me hungry though, so Rob and I went out to dinner at our favorite Bloomington restaurant, Upland Brewery, in the evening and left Liam with a friend. Rob knows me very well and also knew that I would like a nap in the late afternoon (yes please and thank you) a chocolate milkshake on Thursday night and a bottle of wine on Tuesday night. He is very good at making a birthday week for me. Besides that he had Liam help him write a card and traced his hand in the card which is precious and bought me a necklace with a little "L" charm (for Liam) on it. I don't wear a lot of jewelry, but this is the kind of necklace that I could wear every day and it's very special and sweet.

We ended the evening with a large slice of chocolate cake from Feast, a favorite bakery. Liam even got to have a little bit and I think it got him excited for his first birthday cake in a few weeks. Not like he really knows, but he certainly inherited his father's sweet tooth.

Mama and Liam about to enjoy cake. (And you can see my birthday banner in the background)

Chocolate cake!

2 comments:

Kirk and Chrissie said...

Happy birthday, friend! Looks like a great day :). And...for the 100th time, let's get together some time!

Marci said...

Wow -- I forgot how pregnant you were!! So cute though! And I love that little cheeser guy - can't wait to see you both!

Glad your B-day was a good one!