Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Garden that Took Over the World (err, the Backyard)

Remember when our backyard garden looked like this?


Not anymore! The squash literally took over our entire backyard.


The summer is winding down and so is our garden. But it has been a great summer and Rob and I learned a lot about gardening in a small space. Namely, tiny little seeds grow into BIG plants! Squash especially like to crawl out of their spaces and almost invade the neighbors. We also had some bugs and invaders like bottom rot on our tomatoes, but we still got a fair amount of produce. We had beans, tomatoes, basil, zucchini and plenty of butternut squash. I also enjoyed my flowers - cosmos and zinnias.

Next year I don't think we'll plant so much squash and I'll make more room for herbs. But I think we will plant a garden again and maybe try some different kinds of things too. We had fun though and enjoyed watching our garden change and grow.

No comments: