Friday, January 20, 2012

Today was one of those days...

Today was one of those days when:

I showered, but didn't wash my hair so I felt like a greasy schlump all day.
I have two zits the size of Texas and California currently residing on my face.
Liam woke up an hour earlier than normal.
I looked at the clock at 8:19 am and thought, "wow, is it really only 8:19?"
I drank a lot of chai tea until I ran out of half and half.
I decided to put Liam down for an early nap (because of aforementioned early wake-up), but didn't feed him lunch before nap (it was only 11:00).
He slept for 45 minutes. And woke up crying. And probably hungry
I calmly ate a chocolate and let him cry in his bed for half an hour. It was not time to wake up and I wanted a nap!
I felt sorry for him and got him up. He did not nap again today.
I think Liam is getting his pointy teeth. What are those called? I can never remember. Poor kid -- big pointy teeth poking up through your gums. I felt bad for letting him cry.
It was 30 degrees and cloudy and freezing so we couldn't even walk for the mail.
We went the grocery store instead. With all the other billion people buying milk and eggs before the "storm" comes. Weather.com says we're getting 0 inches of precipitation people.
Kroger "discontinued" carrying chorizo. Aldi does, but they were out today.
I ate two shortbread cookies from the freezer leftover from Christmas. It was truly a low point as they did not taste like shortbread, but like mint cookies that had been in the same container, but are long gone. I ate them anyway.
I stooped to new lows and put in a Baby Mozart video for Liam this afternoon.
I wished someone would buy me spring flowers. It's January. How does Kroger have spring flowers already? I don't care - I want them.

Today was also a day when:

I had a warm bed and a hot shower.
We have a roof over our heads in 30 degree and freezing weather.
I have a healthy baby who really is (most moments of every day) a joy to me.
I had money to buy food at the grocery store to make meals for our family and guests.
I have a baby who, even though a video was playing, brought me books to read him instead. (You would be proud mom -- it's was Mr. Gumpy's Outing :)
I have the opportunity to help our family again by doing more free-lance work, which really is God's provision to us in a time of need.
I have a husband who came home from school early and stopped to buy me a funny and sweet card on his way home.
I have a baby who, when he heard me muttering to myself about getting oil on my shirt while making dinner when I wasn't wearing an apron, went to the drawer and brought me my apron. Melted my heart.
I have a God who is a good provider, a faithful friend and is trustworthy.

I was reminded today in the midst of my grumbling and complaining that it's ok to say that being a stay-at-home mom is hard. It is the hardest job in the world, hands down. However, it is not ok to continue in a sinful attitude that is full of self-pity and complaint. It is much better to stop that attitude in its tracks, repent and be thankful. The good things, the sweet things, far outweigh the troublesome, annoying and cranky things.

Were you cranky today? I would encourage you to stop and be thankful, even for the smallest things. It really does help!

1 comment:

Mere said...

Liam is so sweet!